Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Presidential Election

During election years, there are always topics that are to be discussed by the presidential candidates. There are several issues in this election which I find important. These issues are important to me although I am not voting in this election because of personal reasons on which I do not wish to discuss.

China has been a big topic on which the candidates have debated back and forth about. However, it is not just the topic of China that is important to me. I find the topic of the United States' international relationship at the top of my list as far as important topics are concerned. The reason it is at the top of my list is because everything the United States is now depends on international relationships. The economy, the War on Terrorism, our entire future depends on the way these relationships are managed. This is an important topic to me, but I do believe that the United States needs to get away from the dependency on foreign countries because it could lead to the fall. We see it happening right now as the economy slowy falls, the national debt increases, and we fall back to countries that we once were superior to.

The economy is also a topic I find important in election. I am certain that I am not the only one concerned for the economy. Our entire way of life depends on the state of the economy. This topic ties back to the first topic. My opinion is that the United States depends way too much on other countries to supply us with everything we need and that is including money. They might not give us the money directly, but foreigners do purchase a piece of the economy every time they buy bonds, which also increases our debt. The economy is slowy headed towards rock bottom and the next president needs to stop it on its tracks and turn it back around.

The third and last topic imortant to me in this election is the war. I myself have been against the war since the beginning, but since it is not up to me if the troops stay or go, I cannot do anything but show my support. I have to admit that this topic is important to me due to emotional appeal. I have family and friends in different branches of the military and I would hate for any one of them to have to go fight a way in which I, along with millions of others, see no point in fighting.

I am not an expert in any of these fields. I cannot say what should be done in order to solve them because the solutions could have several things effecting it that are beyond my understanding. I am simply stating the topics that are important to me in this election and my opinion on them.

The opinions expressed on this blog do not represent those Texas Christian University or of its administration.

4 comments:

TeresaP said...

I had not really thought about China being a big issue until you had mentioned it. I think it is something that not a lot of people really think about everyone focuses on the war or gas prices. I think if you can find an article on it you should focus on it for your topic.

Michelle J. said...

Hey Hector,
I also believe that we are too dependent on foreign countries, and that is a major problem that we need to fix. For example, I think that is very bad that we are so dependent on different countries for oil; we need to find a way to support ourselves so that other countries can not use our need for oil against us. I would also like to respond to you by saying that I don't think anyone can really be an "expert" on these issues. What is important is that everyone has their own opinion and is able to express that opinion, and if the majority of people feel that way something will probably be done about it.

Eric said...

Hector, I like that you are savvy on the international agenda. Our relationship with other governments is, as you said, essential to success or failure in the future. In regards to China, we have never been on great terms, due to our diverse ideological grounds. It's impossible to see eye to eye with everyone, which makes our allies all the more important.

Brooke said...

Hector,
You seem to have a good overview of what is happening with the upcoming election. I liked that you stated all of the issues that were important to you and told why. Also, I liked that at the end of your argument, you confessed that you are not an expert on any of these topics and you do not know what would be the best way to solve them. I thought it was a great way to end your blog.