Arguments that utilize logos are based on facts. A lot of arguments use logos in order to build up credibility with their audience. The argument for logos is an article from the New York Times (link below). The article talks about the turmoil that the Detroit mayor has gone through the past eight months. The mayor had been on trial for comitting two felonies, obstruction of justice and assault on an officer. However, what had brought him to court was not the felonies, but a sex scandal that was revealed at the beginning of this year. Just by looking at the title, it is easy to see what the article is about. The mayor decided to plead guilty to the charges and resign from his position as the mayor of Detroit.
The argument is based on logos because it is an argument based on testimony. It may not speak of any testimonies from specific people, but in order to make a case in court, there must be witnesses. I think the article is written to inform, as most media is. However, in certain way, it is also made to persuade. Persuading comes in when the the article brings names of people in and how they stood up for what was right against the mayor. In a way it is telling people to stand up for what they believe in.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/05/us/05kwame.html?hp
The opinions expressed on this blog do not represent those of Texas Christian University or of its administration.
2 comments:
Hey Hector, I really like your example. I think it shows a perfect display of logos. It not only informed the audience but also throught testimony gave information through a reliable source.
I think your example is a really good one. I like it because it is a deeper example of logos. I agree with this because in testimonies and things that do deal with court decisions you must have examples and everything to make the jury listen to your point of the story. I also like court cases because I think everything is tied into them ethos logos and pathos. But good choice!
Post a Comment