Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Introduction

Hello, my name is Hector V. Arellano. I am from Mineral Wells, Texas. I am a sophomore engineer major. I have not decided which field to pursue or what I want to do with it once I graduate. I am a proud member of Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity Incorporated and of Amnesty International. I am a very open minded person, which I think greatly contributes to my interests as well as the way my life is headed.

There are two main reasons for why I chose to take this course. One of those was because it is a requirement. The second reason though is because a teacher that I had my junior year of high school got me to love argumentative writing so when I saw the opportunity to expand on her teachings, I jumped on it. Although I have never been a good writer as far as grammar and organization goes, I hope to get better as the course progresses.

As an engineer major, the opportunity to write does not come around very often. The most writing I do is in text messages. Texting is probably the reasons why my grammar is so terrible since I am so accustomed to not having any boundaries on what I write. There are times when I have to send e-mails that are written in a professional manner, but I struggle a lot because i often doubt my grammar and the structure of the e-mail. The same thing happens to me whenever I am writing a paper that is to be turned in for a grade, which is really bad for me because I have to spend a lot of time correcting it. Very often I have doubts on what I turn in because I feel as if it is not good enough yet, but since there is no more time, I turn in what I have and hope for the best.

I am very interested in politics, especially national and international politics. I might not always be up to date on what is going on, but I try to keep up with the news. What interests me the most in politics are the decisions made by governments that affect me as well as the rest of the world.

The argument that the blog is making is stating my opinion and point of view on things that are hopefully are at least tolerated by the rest of the class. The choices that I made make me seem very random, which I am. As far as the participation in the class, I say that I am going to be working hard in the glass because it is something of great interest.

I have read, understand, and agree to the terms of the course syllabus.

The opinions expressed on this blog do not represent those of Texas Christian University or of its administration.

3 comments:

Kelly B. said...

Hector, thats really neat to hear how your high school teacher inspired you to have a love for argumenative writing. Its always great to hear stories of how teachers across America have the ability to inspire our generation.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can be my inside man on whats going on with politics because I really have no interest in them! haha. I love that you love texting..it's a great invention!

Tommy C. said...

Hey Hector, any time you would like some help with engr or advice, I'll do my best to help. You are probably taking networks with diong (ding-dong as we call him). Maybe you have Weis, thats better if you do. That will be by far your hardest class unless you are in calc 2 right now, thats hard too. Just don't get behind in networks cause you'll never ever catch up. It helps to go in and talk to him or you can also go ask Weis. But ask me any questions you have and I'll try to answer them. Feel free to just stop me in Tucker too.